Peter Sellers stars in Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove (1964)! Learn the answers to questions like: How are sex and war juxtaposed? Are doomsday devices real? And was it a good idea for Peter Sellers to play 3 different roles? Listen now to find out!
When a military commander goes rogue in an attempt to start a nuclear war, a motley band of leaders must try to stop him! In this podcast episode, Scott Croco and Jay Holavarri unhack Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964).
- Scott and Jay’s history with Dr. Strangelove (0:00)
- Jay has a bias towards B&W movies (3:25)
- NYTimes originally panned the movie, then re-reviewed it later (4:45)
- A 5-star review of Movies Unhacked (5:35)
- Cast & crew trivia (6:15)
- Dr. Strangelove vs Failsafe (9:45)
- January 1964 trivia (11:30)
- Summary of Dr. Strangelove‘s story/plot (14:20)
- Nuclear drills vs active shooter drills (17:55)
- Sexuality and war juxtaposition (19:05)
- Russian ambassador has some great lines (24:20)
- George C. Scott as Gen. Turgidson (27:30)
- Peter Sellers’s 3 characters – Pres. Muffly (29:20)
- Peter Sellers’s 3 characters – Mandrake (33:50)
- Peter Sellers’s 3 characters – Strangelove (37:45)
- Character of Major Kong, and the airplane crew (40:50)
- Thoughts on the ending (44:30)
- Cold War strategy & deterrence (45:50)
- Soviet Union did build a doomsday device in the 80s (47:20)
- Old school office machines, and SO MUCH PAPER (55:15)
- Payphones and code breaking – then vs now (58:10)
- Living in mineshafts after nuclear war? (59:35)
- Could there be a nuclear winter as a result of war? (1:00:55)
- How often has the Oscar winner also been the top grossing film? (1:04:40)
- Critics’ reactions and awards (1:10:10)
Episode 020 – Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) unhacked!
Download this episode
Movies Unhacked explores movies and their depictions of technology. Movie talk and tech talk in one handy podcast!