Can this movie hold a candle to the movies that inspired it? What was the deal with dial-a-joke? And did this movie invent Tinder? Listen now to find out! Scott Croco and Mike Young unhack Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) in this podcast episode.
When a peaceful planet faces a galactic threat, it sends a hero out in search of mercenaries who can help defend the planet and restore the peace. John Saxon, Sybill Danning, Robert Vaughn, and George Peppard star in Roger Corman’s Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)!
- August 1980 trivia (1:55)
- Summary of Battle Beyond the Stars‘s story/plot (2:20)
- Mike takes issue with his reputation (4:50)
- Movie Review (5:35)
- A true Roger Corman production (6:40)
- Mike loves the look and visuals of the movie (13:25)
- Random thoughts (15:35)
- Scott doesn’t like the Cowboy character (19:45)
- Mercenary recruitment / Sybil Danning (22:40)
- Inter-species arm transplant (33:55)
- Cowboy wears a special belt (36:10)
- The dial-a-something and 1-900 era (38:55)
- Scott’s childhood experience with dial-a-joke (46:30)
- Disappointing Freddy Krueger phone line (51:30)
- Sonic weapons (59:30)
- Budget, Box Office (1:04:20)
- Critics’ reactions (1:07:40)
- “Fiction or Fake?” game (1:09:50)
Episode 056 – Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) unhacked!
Download this episode
Movies Unhacked compares technology in movies to technology in real life. A podcast for fans of cinema and technology!
Siskel and Ebert – Dog of the Week
Weirdest 1-900 Numbers From the 80s
Sonic Weapons’ Long, Noisy History
A History of Using Sound as a Weapon
So What Is This Secretive Chinese Sonic Weapon Exactly?