What the heck is CRISPR? Where was this movie filmed? And how do the twists and turns affect subsequent viewings? Listen now to find out! Scott Croco and Jay Holavarri unhack Gattaca (1997) in this podcast episode.
A man poses as someone else with much better genes in order to go into space, and must jump through hoops to go undetected. Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law star in Andrew Niccol’s Gattaca (1997)!
- Andrew Niccol’s films (1:05)
- Summary of Gattaca‘s story/plot (2:40)
- Movie Review (4:15)
- Anton is a very interesting character (20:05)
- Doesn’t pass the Bechdel test (28:40)
- Design, sets, locations (32:30)
- Genome vs heart/will/opportunity (43:00)
- Gattaca marketing campaign tricked parents (53:10)
- Incinerators (54:30)
- CRISPR – gene editing tool (58:35)
- Budget, Box Office results, Critics’ reactions (1:20:30)
- “Fiction or Fake?” game (1:27:50)
Subscribe to Movies Unhacked in Apple Podcasts, YouTube, Stitcher, Spotify, or Google Play, and write us a 5-star review!
Episode 039 – Gattaca (1997) unhacked!
Download this episode
Roger Ebert review
L.A. Times review and S.F. Chronicle review
What you need to know about CRISPR
CRISPR baby scandal
CRISPR babies in China
Chinese scientist missing
CRISPR gene editing
Chinese scientist detained
Genes and stroke recovery
China gene-edited twins
Antibodies – CRISPR
Movies Unhacked compares technology in movies to technology in real life. A podcast for fans of cinema and technology!