Which of these movies is more mind-blowing? What’s the difference between a Grandfather paradox and a Causal Loop paradox? And will Matt win at “Fiction or Fake?” Listen now to find out! Scott Croco and Matt Janulewicz unhack Primer (2004) and Predestination (2014) in this podcast episode.
When a couple engineers inadvertently create a time-travel machine, the logistics of time travel quickly become unwieldy as they lose trust in each other. Shane Carruth stars in, writes, and directs Primer (2004)!
A time-traveling agent must stop a mad bomber while onboarding a new recruit and sorting through family history. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook star in Predestination (2014)!
- Summary of Predestination (3:15)
- Summary of Primer (4:05)
- Predestination movie review (4:55)
- Predestination timeline breakdown (8:30)
- What’s happening in that boiler room scene? (15:00)
- Based on Robert Heinlein short story (18:20)
- Causal loop and Grandfather paradoxes (20:00)
- Primer movie review (24:10)
- How Primer‘s time travel machine works (31:20)
- Ethics and time travel (38:10)
- Fail-safe time machine (47:20)
- What does all this look like from the outside? (56:45)
- Budget, Box Office, and critics’ reactions (59:15)
- “Fiction or Fake?” game (1:01:45)
Episode 040 – Primer (2004) and Predestination (2014) unhacked!
Download this episode
Movies Unhacked compares technology in movies to technology in real life. A podcast for fans of cinema and technology!